Quick Note from Dad

Luke,

I found it a bit odd when your Mom wrote the previous blog and addressed it directly to you.  In all my previous entries, I was really writing more for our family and friends.  But as I was reading her note directly to you, it made me realize that someday,  you will love reading this blog, thinking about how your crazy parents were trying to figure out what in the world they were doing.  

Nom Nom Nom
So, I just wanted to send you a quick note and let you know a few things, just in case you actually ever do read it.  These are things that I've learned over the past few months....things people tried to tell me and I just couldn't understand before you came crashing into our lives, all twelve pounds of you.  :)  

I wanted to tell you just how much I love being your Dad.  There really isn't any preparation you can take for becoming a father.  Sure, we read books and went to classes, and they helped.  But nothing can really prepare you for the chaos of having a child, and then the emotions tied to raising one.  Let me be the first to tell you that it really is one of the most amazing things I've ever experienced, and I think that just about every time I see you.  You bring your mom and I so much joy, and I like to think that we make you pretty happy also.

I wanted to tell you that I am already so proud of you - you are accomplishing new things so quickly. You no longer stay in one spot on your blanket - constantly rolling and scooting backwards and sideways.  You will be crawling soon, a fact that excites and terrifies me at the same time.  You are also starting to transition to solid foods, as we add vegetables and oatmeal to supplement the milk you love so much.  This has been selfishly amazing for me because now I can be a part of your eating time.  You recognize who we are now, and you reach for Dexter when he comes to give you a kiss.  You have moved into a real bed, transitioning from the rocker you slept in for the first six months into a big boy crib.  At 6 months, you are 29.5 inches and 19.5 pounds, and there's something new every day.  Just today we took the mesh out of your bathtub and now you sit in it like a big boy.  I cant believe how fast you're growing up!

I also wanted to tell you that it's been killing me that I've been travelling a lot lately for work.  I hate not seeing you for days - I'm always scared that you will forget me or I will miss something big.  Thankfully, your mom has been tremendous through it all, not only doing a great job of caring for you while going to school full time, but also encouraging me when I get down in a hotel room by myself.  

This brings me to possibly my favorite memory of you to date.  The last trip I went on (Shakopee, MN) you didn't see my face for 5 days before we Skyped.  When we finally did get a chance to Skype, I came up on the screen and your eyes lit up and you squirmed out of Mommy's arms to claw at the computer screen and try to touch my face.  You recognized me, knew who I was, and were excited to see me.  It was one of the single greatest moments of my life.

Finally, little guy, I wanted to tell you how excited I am to watch you grow up...to play a small role in the person you become.  I try very hard to focus on the now and not get too excited for what's to come, but I know what a bright future you have in front of you.  I know that you can be or do anything that you want, and your mom and I will always be there to support you and care for you and help you along the way.

Luke and his friend Lillian.  :)  

If you're reading this Luke, I hope it comes as no surprise to you that your Mom and I love you like crazy.  You totally changed our lives kiddo....and I'm so glad God brought you to us.  You are just another reason that we have an awesome family.  I wouldn't change anything for the world.

-Dad

Comments

Popular Posts