Little Things.

NOTE:  I started this post back in October 2012 after Luke's surgery.  I just finished it tonight.  Slight time delay.  It's an important one to me though.

When Luke woke up after his surgery he was a new baby.  He was SO quiet, relaxed and HUNGRY.  It made me realize how much I had gotten to know him by his sounds - and those were gone.  I felt like I had to get to know him all over again.  It made me sad at the time, like here was this new baby I didn't even know - I wasn't even prepared to lose his sounds since everything happened so fast.  I wish we had gotten a video of his sleep "hamster" breathing.

It was also the first time I realized the loss that comes with babies growing up.  His wheeze was the first thing he had since he was born, that he lost.  I had a little of the same sadness when he stopped eating in the middle of the night, losing those sweet quiet moments with him.  So, I wanted to write this post to make sure I remembered some of the other things like that.

Luke has a schruncy little button nose.  You can't really tell except from the side, it's most noticeable to me when he's nursing.  I know he's going to grow out of it eventually but it is adorable.


He also has these deep divots where his knuckles will be on his hands.  I remember being really surprised at them when he was born.

Old man hair.  This is the sweetest thing.  The messy, frizzy slept on hair, reminiscent of your grandpa.



The way he looks when he falls asleep after eating.  I took this in April or so, one of the last times he fell asleep nursing.  This one may be more of a mental memory though...I never could take a picture that totally captured that sweetness.



I know there will be many, many more of the "things he used to do" bittersweet moments, but I am also so looking forward to what comes next!

Comments

Popular Posts