A picture's worth 1,000 sleepless nights.....

Man, it feels like we are getting so close.  Our class the other day told us that anytime after 37 weeks is considered full term, and that's less than a month away!! I can't wait to meet our little guy.

Lately, we have been going to some classes to try to learn about the whole process.  I was a little iffy about going at first, and now that we've done a couple, I'm even more iffy about them.  On one hand, a lot of the material is great, and it's good for me to see that I'm not the only one who has a lot to learn.  It's also been fun learning how to hold a baby, and change their diaper, and do a bunch of the other things so I feel more involved, but honestly, I have been really struggling with these classes.  Some of what they are teaching is just crazy graphic, and for some reason watching some of it has made me freak out a little bit.  I won't go into details, and I'm not squeamish at all, but I just wish that I hadn't seen some of the pictures and videos that I've seen.  It's one thing when we are having our kid, it's another whole thing for me to watch someone else do it.  Gross.

This, along with how soon the baby will be here, has led me to have several mini-panic attacks about the whole process.  Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to be a father, and I know that I will do great when it comes to supporting Kara when the time comes, (because she's the one who has the real hard part of the journey), but occasionally, I've had to go for a walk or wash my face and get myself under control.  I think that's how I handle major stressful events - I overanalyze and overthink beforehand, but when the time comes, I always end up finding a way to make it through.  Part of the stress for me is that I know how important it is for me to be there for Kara - she is such a strong and amazing person....what if she does all this, and the one time that she needs me to be her rock, I'm huddled in the corner with cold sweats?  Time to man up Dave.

I hesitated to even write this blog, because I know that every girl out there who will read it is thinking "I can't believe HE thinks that HIS part of this whole process is going to be hard."  But the whole point of this blog was to try to remember this process and share my thoughts with our friends and family, and with Kara, as we go down this journey.  So, future Dave - this is the part of the process where it was gut check time...when it was time to step up and not show weakness, so that when Kara looks at you, she feels like she is supported and that together, we can get her through this whole thing.  I have no doubt that it's worth it.

Comments

Popular Posts